Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Bangalore Book Festival - 2013

From past 4 years I am attending the Bangalore Book Festival regularly, which is happening from past ten years in Bangalore. This is the only event that I wait eagerly to attend and buy the books that I love to read.

It gives immense pleasure being amidst of lacs of books and book lovers in book festival.

as usual I was very excited about this years event. as usual the publicity for the book festival was very very poor. from November I started searching for the schedule everyday in the internet. beacuase every year they would organize this event in middle or end of November. so that is the only clue I had. 

finally when I got to know that, this year's festival will happen from Nov29 - dec8 at Tripuravasini, palace ground, I was happy and planned to attend the 11th edition of book festival.  I made a list of books that I wanted to purchase. usually I purchase Tamil books, because this is the  only chance to purchase other language books.

Last year I had a great day here. I had the opportunity to talk and take pictures with writers Dr. Chandrashekara Kambaara sir and Dr.Kamal hampana madam. so imagined that I could get a chance to see and meet some authors this year too.

so on fine a morning on Nov29, I decided to go to the event, but I was in dilemma because I used to search internet to make sure that the schedule is correct. but the only sources that I came across was one Facebook page and the official website. other then that I didn't find any news related to the event. but I couldn't resist myself. I put aside all my works and went to palace ground. I went to Tripuravasini gate, there was no sign of book fest, I was disappointed. I took a long walk to the length of palace ground. no sign of book fest at all.


first time in 5 years, I returned home empty handed from book fest. I was wondering what might be the reason. again I searched the net and newspaper, there was nothing about book fest. the official website showing the same schedule [http://bbpabangalore.org/events.html], in Facebook also no  update.
after couple of days, slowly news came out with the actual reason.
This is what Deccan Herald said:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/372453/bangalore-book-fair-cancelled.html

For the first time in a decade, the Bangalore Book Festival will not be held this year as the organisers of the annual event called it off following refusal by the state Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms (DPAR) to permit it beyond three days.

Hence, the 11th edition of the festival, originally scheduled to be held at Bangalore Palace Grounds here from November 29 to December 8, stands cancelled.

Bangalore Booksellers and Publishers Association Secretary Devaru Bhat told Deccan Herald that the festival would not be viable if it was held only for three days.
“Crowds turn up mostly during the weekends. Monday to Friday, the footfalls are low. When they can allow commercial ventures such as Snow City for an entire year and a Navarathri event for nine days, why not a 10-year-old literary event that will benefit everyone?” contended Bhat.

From literary competitions for school and college students to live debates and free entry for the young ones, the organizers had planned a unique fair for this year. The idea was to give a much-needed boost to the dying habit of reading. Several book stores in the City have already closed down.

The DPAR had initially ruled that the fair cannot be held at all this year. It had cited a government notification of December 21, 2012, which banned commercial activities on Palace Grounds. However, the association reasoned that the notification cannot be valid since it was challenged in the Supreme Court by Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wadiyar and the apex court was yet to deliver its verdict.

Following a plea by the festival organizing committee, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had directed the DPAR to allow the fair for three days as a special consideration. On November 26, the association received a letter from the DPAR seeking three dates that would not overlap with other events on Palace Grounds.

However, it was too late by then for the association to inform the outstation booksellers, especially those from Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata.

“The booksellers there had already dispatched several loads of books. About 350 stalls were booked and the money was paid. We now have to spend a big amount to compensate them. We didn’t get proper information in time,” complained an association member.

The organisers are certain that they would be back in 2014 only if the fair was allowed over two weekends and the permission granted a month in advance. “We need that kind of time to reorganise.”

Since 2003, the Bangalore Book Festival has been a regular calendar event, attracting hordes of bibliophiles to Palace Grounds. Last year, the fair—held between December 14 and 23—had recorded over a lakh footfalls.

I was deeply disappointed by the govt decision. they should support these kind of events instead of troubling them. now some news is coming that the book fest may happen in january 2014.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-12-06/bangalore/44862180_1_palace-grounds-bangalore-book-festival-book-lovers

I hope that it will happen in January.

Post a Comment

0 Comments